Tuesday 31 December 2013

December, 8 Hours to Go

Today is New Year's Eve, and as such I thought it would be nice to do a retrospective end of the year type of blog.

A lot of different exciting things have happened in my music career this year. These include gigs all around the UK, showcases, a tour, concerts, functions, rehearsals, the lot. It's been manic, but every second has been fun, even the bits where I didn't know what day of the week it was because I'd been working so hard.

So some statistics, the furthest South that I worked this year was Bath for my Godfather's Blues Band. The furthest North with New York Brass Band in Newcastle. The furthest that I worked East was with the RNCM Session Orchestra in Ockendon in Essex for the Out of Essex Project for Music for Youth. And finally, the furthest that I've been West for work this year was Aberystwyth in Wales with Black and Gold Function Band.

Other adventures of this nature involve seeing both ends of the M62 in one weekend. Firstly just short of Hull for a gig with Spinoffs, and the next day travelling to Liverpool with Under the Covers Function Band. Also, day with New York Brass Band where I travelled to Gosforth in Cumbria (seeing the Irish Sea) and then to a gig in Scarborough (seeing the North Sea) in the same day. Mad.

It would take a while to outline all the fun things that have happened in any kind of detail, so I'll say that I've had a great time with all the bands / friends that I've worked with this year. I've also enjoyed learning my way round my new region of the North West and I'm looking forward to continuing my study at the RNCM. 

The diary is starting to fill up for next year, so I'm looking forward to getting going with all that stuff. Hopefully next year my travels will take me north of the border to work in Scotland! But then, who knows what's going to happen.

Cheers everyone! Have a Happy New Year.

Alasdair

No comments:

Post a Comment